Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Inspiring Quotes


Our future is very bright as noted by the following quotes from our previous year’s entrants.  The voices of our future know what they want and what it takes for them to succeed.   Giving them a chance to think about it and write down their feelings will no longer make them just a thought, but an idea put out there into the world to see if they can make a difference because as a teacher, I know they can!

Good luck to all the entrants this year let these quotes inspire you to share your thoughts, ideas, and dreams.  Now write!   

·      “I believe cultural identity is an important element on my educational journey because in order to move forward and better myself as a First Nation person and a strong Anishinabe Kwe, I need to learn what my people went through in the past, their learning abilities and how they used our culture as their educational tool. “                                                             - N. A.

·      “I know that Native people are brave and strong.  A part of being brave is not being afraid to show who you are as a First Nation Aboriginal anywhere.  Take a risk and don’t be shy to show who you are as a First Nation.”                                                                                                                          - N. A.

·      “I also learned that when people tell the young children legends they are teaching them something. … The language we speak is very important to me because it shows respect to many people that speak it.”                                                                                                                                                - A. P.

·      “What it means to be Native is to go to powwows, learn our language, and go to school.  Knowing who we are helps us in school and this includes knowing where we come from, how we live, and our language. “                                                                                                                                                 - S. A.

·      “In our history there is war, the children went to residential schools, and we were put on reservations.  In residential schools the children were not allowed to go home and they were made white (for example cutting the boys hair).  Our history makes me sad because the kids had to go to residential schools and they tried to make us non-Indians but today we can be happy because we go to school and we are allowed to go home and be with our families.”                                                                                      - S. A.

·      “All of these make me feel good about myself and when I feel good I try to be happy and pay attention in class.  This makes for a better education, which will help me to get a better job when I’m older.”                         - S. A.

·      “I think knowing your culture is important because you can teach people that there is more to First Nations people than stereotypes, knowing your culture could help later in life, and also stop bullying and racism towards First Nations people. “                                                                         - J. H.

·      “I think knowing your culture early in life could help later in life also and here’s why.  Teaching others around you who want to learn about First Nations heritage could be easier if you knew from an early age.  Some people in life don’t have beliefs but want to believe something, knowing from an early age can fix that problem.”                                                - J. H.

·      “I believe that teaching people that it isn’t all just stereotypes, knowing your culture early in life, or even stopping bullying and racism towards First Nations people could really help First Nations people.”             - J. H.

·      “I’m no different than anyone else but my skin color is different and my history may be a bit different but I want the same things as others.  Stereotypes may say we get things for free but we have to work just as hard as everyone else out there. “                                                  - N. L.

·      “It is good for us to know our history because we need to stay strong, like our warriors.  It is good for everyone to learn about this so that there are no stereotypes about Natives. “                                                            - N. L.


No comments:

Post a Comment